Monday, May 5, 2008

slacker

I didn't really realize the effect that Justin has on my life until he left. He's been gone for 4 days now, and I can honestly say, I feel a little bit lost without him. I've been so lazy since he's been gone. Without Justin around there is no one calling me on my mothering skills. It's common for me to hear Justin say "well you're the mom, so you do it", when I ask him to do too much for me, or "You're the mom, so it's your job to play with me" if I'm not spending enough time with him. Well now that he's not here, I'm getting away with a lot more. Dawson doesn't care so much what I do during the day, as long as his needs are met. (having his diaper changed, being fed plenty of snacks, and having free reign of the house, including Justin's room.) I have to say that it's been so much quieter without the arguing between Justin and Dawson (and between me and Justin!) Now as I reread this, it sounds like it should be a nice vacation for me having Justin gone, and it has been at times, but I actually feel unmotivated and unsure of how to spend my time! It's weird for me to realize that Justin is a huge motivating presence in my life. He challenges me, and that makes me grow. Without him here, I've been wasting a lot of time. I'm still in my pj's and it's almost noon, the house is a mess, and I don't think I've done laundry since he left! Thank goodness he gets home this afternoon or it could get really chaotic around here! I'm so thankful for the unique personalities each of my boys have. I'm thankful for Justin for challenging me and helping me to be a better person. I'm thankful for Dawson for letting me relax a little and just be silly when I get tired of trying to be supermom. I'm thankful for Chase for just being so darn cute and loveable, and most of all I'm thankful for a wonderful husband who does all of those 3 things for me, and more importantly who puts up with all of my craziness, and loves me in spite of it!

5 comments:

kam said...

Deanne-
You are such a good and nice person. I loved reading this post. I love your happy optomistic nature and humble confidence. All of your boys are lucky to have you.

Sheryl said...

Hey great mother of 3! Isn't amazing how one more or one less makes such a difference. I love thinking about how each of my children has effected who I am and the mother I am,and have been. We are truly blessed!

Kim L. said...

WOW! That is soooooo Drei! She has never been gone for more than a couple hours, but when she is gone...it IS like taking a break.\"/ BUT, at the same time, she is my biggest helper around the house. I could not put my finger on it, but you totally explained it perfectly.... she is the one making sure everything is running just so around the house... when she's at school, things do get SUPER relaxed ... needs are met and there is more free play type time than structured type activities that she requires. She requires SOOOOOOO MUCH more from ME than the younger ones. Maybe it is an oldest kid thing. hmmmmm. Each kid sure does have a role to play, huh?\"/

Eve said...

That is hilarious that Justin keeps you in line. I need someone like that around here!

Lisa said...

My boys sure have enjoyed getting to know your family, and you always have such a sunshiny smile!

Just Me And The Boys

With the addition of our second son Dawson to our family last year, I'm completely outnumbered. At times it seem like life is just one big noisy, dirty, wrestling match! But really I couldn't be more happy! Justin and Dawson are so much fun (most of the time!) It's been so fun to watch them grow and develop. In an attempt to share our stories and pictures with those of you who are interested, I'm starting my first blog. My plan is to keep you updated on what's going on in our lives, but I reserve the right to slack off every now and then! After all I do have a 3 year old and a 1 year old!