Thursday, July 31, 2008

Last Chance

Did you know that without my contacts, I am considered to be legally blind? Yep, my vision is so bad that the big E on the eye chart is just a memory from my younger days, since I can't even begin to see that it's there now. I'm guessing that this comes as a surprise to some of you. Probably because you were'nt aware that I even wore contacts. In fact, I'm willing to bet that unless you are a member of my immediate family, or one of my 5th grade classmates, you've never seen me in glasses. Why you may ask? Because I despise them! I wore them for 1 year in 5th grade before I convinced my mom that at 10 years old, I could not live without contacts. I've worn them every single day of my life since then. So in the past 16 years I have not worn glasses for more than 2 hours at a time. To give you even more of an idea, Nazar has probably seen me in glasses less than 10 times (we've been married for almost 8 years!) Well all of this has changed. For the next 2 weeks you will have your chance to see me in glasses. I'm getting lasik eye surgery on August 13, and for this reason I have to be out of my contacts until then. While I am thrilled to no end about the surgery, these next two weeks seem like an excruciatingly long trial that I will have to endure. It's probably impossible to understand what the big deal is, for those of you who aren't blind like me. You would think that I could see just fine as long as I wore the glasses. Well unfortunately that is not the case for me. Even with the correct glasses prescription, it is very very difficult for me to function on a normal level. I have no depth perception and no peripheral vision. Basically I can see only when I stand perfectly still and look straight ahead. I havn't even been out of my contacts for a full 24 hours yet, but it feels like eternity already. Driving is completely out of the question for me, so I'm planning on being a hermit as much as possible for the next 13 days. It's hard to explain how insecure it makes me feel to not be able to see. My inclination is to revert into myself and stop functioning until I can see again, but with 3 kids to take care of, I know that I have to suck it up and get on with my life. Looking back I'm sure that these 2 weeks will only be remembered as a minor annoyance, and then I'll have the rest of my life with great vision!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck! Can't wait to see you in your styles! :)

Caroline Haring said...

I know what you mean. When I've got my glasses on I call myself "Super Geek". Getting Lasik would be a dream. I'm excited for you to get it done and get rid of the glasses for good!

Sheryl said...

The worse my eyes get, the more that surgery is sounding like a dream come true. I know those who are just so happy that they have done it. Amazing technology. Good luck! Just be glad you don't have to wear those glasses that Justin has on in the post below!!

Unknown said...

Hey!
Not related to this post but your comment.... I didn't realize anyone had left anything else... I don't have your email so I'll leave me message here..
Sorry about the Nazar comment oh so long ago... you'll have to take into consideration that he gave me alot of grief over FHE (don't even remember saying that but it does sound like me!) ... AND your sister was driving the car... I still have the picture she took... oh the good 'ole days!
Good luck on your surgery!

Kris said...

Good Luck Deanne!! It will be so great not to have to worry about contacts or glasses! :)

Nate said...

you'll look hot in glasses de- I just hope you'll post a picture. I love the pic of justin in the goggles on the last post. Seeing directly following the glasses post made me envision you in some of those sports glasses/goggles. Funny mental image to say the least. ;)

Just Me And The Boys

With the addition of our second son Dawson to our family last year, I'm completely outnumbered. At times it seem like life is just one big noisy, dirty, wrestling match! But really I couldn't be more happy! Justin and Dawson are so much fun (most of the time!) It's been so fun to watch them grow and develop. In an attempt to share our stories and pictures with those of you who are interested, I'm starting my first blog. My plan is to keep you updated on what's going on in our lives, but I reserve the right to slack off every now and then! After all I do have a 3 year old and a 1 year old!